The 52nd annual National Elk Refuge elk antler auction brought in $186,227 last weekend. 140 registered bidders bought more than 10,000 lbs of elk antlers during the public auction held in Wyoming, the East Idaho News reports. The annual sale is held annually on the Saturday before Memorial Day weekend.
Every year the National Elk Refuge partners with Jackson District Schools for the auction and, this year, the Jackson District Scouts volunteered approximately 2,000 hours to “prepare and execute the sale,” according to the East Idaho News. While the Scouts will get to keep 25% of the sale’s proceeds to use for fundraisers and other organizational needs, the remaining 75% will go towards habitat enhancement projects and paying for farm equipment, weed management and seasonal employees at the National Elk Refuge where 25,000 acres are managed for the Jackson elk herd.
During this year’s auction, 10,320 lbs of elk antlers were sold, which is more than last year and in line with the 10-year average of 9,897 lbs. Over the past ten years, the auction has brought in an average of $143,846, according to the East Idaho News.
Miss out on the auction? You can still purchase single antlers at the Jackson Hole & Greater Yellowstone Visitor Center. Make sure to mark your calendar for next year’s auction, which will be held on Saturday, May 16, 2020.