Montana over-the-counter antlerless, plus surplus antelope and elk tag list
As always, if you're looking to pick up an extra tag this fall... you have a few options.
Important Montana Dates
- August 6, over-the-counter, surplus B licenses (antlerless) for deer and elk, plus surplus nonresident elk combination go on sale (more info below).
- August 9, general antelope and antelope B draw results available.
- August 13, surplus general antelope, antelope B and antelope archery 900-20 licenses go on sale.
This year the 900-20 antelope tags were drawn early, whereas, in the past, all antelope licenses were drawn at the same time. According to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP) this did not give biologists enough time to complete their antelope surveys and make changes to license numbers. Now, archery antelope hunters have more time to plan their hunts and biologist can properly conduct their surveys for the general antelope hunts. Also, new this year, the 900 licenses were available as a first choice option only. This change allowed FWP to offer elk and deer surplus licenses earlier.
Montana surplus licenses for 2018
Surplus licenses are ones that remain after the main draw. Note: The remaining licenses are sold on a first-come-first-served basis. Surplus licenses are available at FWP offices on August 6 at 8 a.m., and online sales will begin at 5 a.m. here, also FWP license providers will have access to purchase the licenses too. You can find a list of license providers here.
- The list of available surplus licenses for deer and elk can be found here.
- A list of available surplus licenses for antelope will be posted the afternoon of August 9 and are available to purchase on August 13.
- Note: there are an additional 88 surplus nonresident elk combination licenses and 2,000 Deer B Region 7 antlerless whitetail (resident only) tags available.
These licenses and permits can be purchased online, over the counter or by downloading a paper application. It is highly recommended that you purchase them online or you might find yourself not getting a tag.
You can still purchase bonus points and nonresident preference points in Montana until September 30. You can purchase your points here.